Sunday, August 8, 2010

Retro Sprite Art with Perler Beads




I finally found a craft project that I can finish easily in one sitting: 8-bit sprite art using perler beads.

I was inspired Friday when I stumbled across a post from Geek Crafts' blog, 10 Awesomely Geeky Perler Beads Crafts. Since then, I think I have become addicted to these awesomely geeky creations. XD

Fortunately, there's many classic sprites available online. Two websites that I found particularly useful were http://www.videogamesprites.net/ and http://www.spriters-resource.com/.

To help visualize where to put beads in the board, I used gimp. I just opened up my image and zoomed in about 2000%. It sucks that grid lines aren't available, but the enlarged image was enough to get the job done.

So far I've made two Mario's, a question block (from Super Mario Bros.), Kirby and Lakitu. I hope to make a project with Phoenix Wright and Domo-kun, but I need to get a larger perler bead board. :)

Here's a few more pictures of my little creations:

Pink Mario. He's so cute. :)

Finished hunger Kirby


1 comment:

  1. I'm not sure which way the finished project is supposed to face. >__>

    For now, I'm assuming the side that was ironed on is the finished look.

    ReplyDelete